Developing Secured Applications
What is SSDLC?
SSDLC (Secure Software Development Life Cycle) is a process model used by organizations to build secure applications. The SSDLC process defines how to integrate security into the software development process.
Integrating the SSDLC process into the overall development process results in:
– Reducing/preventing damage caused by cyber attacks.
– Reducing the costs of addressing information security weaknesses in
applications, due to early identification of potential vulnerabilities.
– Significantly fewer remaining vulnerabilities when the application is ready to
go live, thereby reducing delays in the go-live process.
In the past, most organizations performed security activities only after completing the application’s development, i.e. only a few days or weeks before they deploy the application to production. It might be too late at that point and this could result in:
– High cost to fix a vulnerability found in the design of the software or its core
– Release of a less secure application for public use due to a lack of time to fix all
– Missed business goals due to the delay in deploying the release to production
– The application may have several unknown vulnerabilities due to time limitations and limited numbers of tests performed.
Comsec’s professionals will guide the organization in establishing an SSDLC process to integrate security into the overall software development timeline. Comsec will help with definition and performance of the following SSDLC framework topics:
• Defining the SSDLC process itself
• Conducting secure development training sessions for developers
• Architecture analysis
• Design review
• Code review
• Penetration testing
Many organizations which tried to implement an SSDLC process by themselves had limited success despite significant internal efforts. This is due to their approach of taking SSDLC best practices from free sources on the internet and trying to implement them in the organization as-is.
At Comsec, we are experienced and understand that the SSDLC process must be suited to the organization. In most cases, an SSDLC process that was successful for one organization will not be appropriate for other organizations.
Comsec’s consultants, with a background in both development and application security, will guide you and tailor the SSDLC process to be suited and appropriate for your organization.